Sunday, November 28, 2010

America: Happiness is Home

The famous Miami beach
The Miami skyline

Although I live in Washington, I decided that to re-enter America I needed to do it with a bang. My wife and I decided that Miami would be perfect to do this (and we had always wanted to travel there). The second we stepped out of the airport we were struck with a wall of heat and humidity, but not miserable like the heat in Qatar; it was a delicious tropical heat. I assumed that America would be a happiness superpower, just as it is within foreign affairs. My research at the WDH said otherwise, however. America is by no means the happiest place in the world. Eighty-four percent of Americans reported being very happy- but that is not even close to how many Americans are considered wealthy by worldly standards. Despite many Americans' beliefs, money cannot buy happiness; it is found within yourself and brought out by the people around you. This is what I have learned above all else on my journey- happiness is a state of mind. Perhaps Miami and its paradise-like qualities have put me in that state of mind for I feel happier than I have in years. I think I might just move here, to the land of the Cuban Americans and wonderful coffee. To me, this place is bliss. Who knew I’d find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment