Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Now?

When I visited the WDH, I was an empty soul searching for something that cannot simply be found by analyzing endless self-help books to take a look “at my inner self”. I was attempting to uncover the secret to happiness. I searched country after country and found bits and pieces of what made people content. In the Netherlands, I found that strong facts are necessary to build foundations and keep one firm in their beliefs. In Switzerland, I learned that maybe a little bit of down time is not a bad thing at all. In Bhutan I began to imagine what the world would be like if all the government cared about was the happiness of its people. Qatar taught me that even though money can make someone feel safe, too much of a good thing often leads to despair. In Iceland I found that failure is an option, and an encouraging one at that. In Moldova I was brought back to reality and became thankful for what I had. In Thailand I realized that no matter how much I contemplate the universe it will only make me less content and maybe I should just be happy with what I do know instead of always needing more. In Great Britain I learned that the American way is not always the right way. America taught me that to find happiness I do not need to travel the entire globe, I just need to look inside of myself and draw on my support systems around me. This experience has by no means left me at a ten on the happiness scale, but I have certainly grown as a person and am glad I embarked on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment