Sunday, November 28, 2010

Great Britain: Happiness is a Work in Progress

View of the London streets at night
The Gothic style Saint-Paul Cathedral in London
I had my flight attendant telling me I had come to the wrong place to find happiness, that couldn’t be a good sign at all. She looked me straight in the eye and said, “We don’t do happiness.” What was that supposed to mean? I shook off the comment and walked out onto the London streets. It was quite rainy, but other than that the temperature felt amazing. I loved the architecture there; it really felt welcoming despite its gothic style. Great Britain has recently experienced a huge increase in interest in furthering national happiness. Citizens talk about it as much as they talk about what was on television the night before. They are always comparing America’s view on happiness with their own, slightly cynical, view of bliss. Apparently they look down upon the way strangers are so friendly with each other in America. It is shameful to be too “American”, too eager and amiable. They like to work up to the outgoingness Americans consider normal. This increases the trust that they feel among their friends; thus, they feel safe and happy among their immediate circle, they just have to work up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment