Sunday, November 28, 2010

Response Questions: Happiness is Understanding

How did you experience the book? It's not always helpful to talk about whether or not you liked the book, but rather how you felt as you were reading it? Were you pulled effortlessly into the book...or did you have difficulty getting into it? Why?
This book was a pleasure to read. From the very first paragraph Eric Weiner drew me in with shocking comparisons that made you need, not want, to keep reading. He knows how to keep the reader interested while revealing important facts that could be considered boring if just presented on a sheet of paper. His gift with metaphors and similes makes it easy to relate to these far away countries problems.
Were you happy about your book choice? Why or why not?
I was extremely happy with my book choice. How could I not be happy with a book that seeks to show the reader, essentially, happiness itself. This novel was masterfully written and brought me to the heart of many countries. That was especially enjoyable for me because I love learning about the cultures and lifestyles of various places.
Which place discussed in the book did you find the most intriguing? Why do you think that was the case?
I was the most intrigued with Iceland in the book. I believe this is partially because it appears that Eric Weiner, himself, is most interested in this chilly country. I am also amazed that the people in Iceland do not mind failure. I cannot fathom this really. I have always truly been afraid of failure and it is often a huge source of my own unhappiness. I am so glad this chapter was included because it caused me to take a deeper look at me own insecurities and imperfections. Hopefully, I will learn from what I read here and realize that sometimes failure is an option and it is just the trying that counts.
What central ideas might the author be exploring-the novel's themes? Consider ideas about the nature of love, the requirements of goodness, the meaning of justice, the burden of the past...basic human issues that are at stake in the book.
Eric Weiner is exploring the idea of money as a source of happiness. This appears in almost every chapter in the book and is most certainly a basic human issue. He comes to find that money has no relevance when it comes to happiness beyond providing our basic needs. In fact, too much money can even cause unhappiness as Weiner discovers in Qatar.
What do you feel you learned from this project? Please consider the book, the technology involved with producing the project, or any other aspect regarding the project.
During this project I learned a great deal about myself and how happy and lucky I am. I am so glad that I live in America, and although it may not be one of the happiest places in the world, I am grateful I have my freedom and do not live in a war-torn country such as Moldova. I also learned a great deal of blogging through a process of a lot of trial and error. I learned how to post videos, edit layouts, and get music onto my page.
What was the most enjoyable part of the project? Please explain why you felt this way.
The most enjoyable part of my project was the actual reading of the book. I have always been an avid reader and adored the way Eric Weiner kept me interested in the book with his quirky stories.
What was the most difficult part of the project? Please explain why you felt this way.
For me, the most difficult part of the project was getting a video onto the page. I did not know how to embed the code for a youtube video so the video would appear on the page itself. It took a great deal of time and the help of my brother to understand and learn how to do this properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment